My pops is the gentlest and funniest man I know....but he sure lacks ambition when it comes to setting up an aethestically pleasing home. This is where Addie and I came in.
- Organized the massive tupperware collection of a bumbly middle-aged bachelor who receives well-intentioned food gifts from church ladies and female relatives on a regular basis
- Decided that a bag of cat food is NOT a decorative object
- Made up a cozy little twin-bed-nook in the spare room (closet?)
- Pushed around furniture into more feng-shui-acceptable positions.
- Cleaned the dusty surfaces of objects that have been on this earth for way too long
- Hung family photos (confiscating the strictly unbearable old ones, shhhhh don't tell) and reframed art pieces and found them proper places to liven up "charming" fake wood walls
- Made administrative decisions about which of the four sets of measuring cups gets to go to the thrift store (does he ever use ANY of them? i think not)
- Hid the boring stuff such as rice cooker, matchbooks, old receipts, boxes of band-aids, away out of sight...these also are not decorative objects contrary to dad's beliefs
- Discovered that our father (gung-ho Costco shopper although he is only ONE person) has enough canned good and boxes of cereal to feed the inhabitants of a small island for one year. Also, enough brand new sticks of deodorant.
- Turned an undressed futon mattress into a cozy place to sit
- Generally helped transform our dad's house LIKE WE WERE STRAIGHT OFF HGTV!!!
Here we are after cleaning his old house:
Next up: tackle his silverware drawer. Ummmm, yeah. It's a wreck. A pile of plasticware and ancient steak knives. I didn't know where to begin. But I'll be back....
Honestly...okay here, I'll admit it: it is actually so rewarding and satisfying and inspiring, especially helping a person as grateful as our pops. And so here I go again....craft room WATCH OUT. I'M COMING FOR YOU.
Another update, well I did post some new items on my Etsy and SOLD SOME TOO!
(embarassingly, ludicrously happy about that)