The Force That Through the Green Fuse Drives The Flower / Drives my green age

inspired by sasha, i headed up into the mountains and forests by myself for a little adventure yesterday.
i wore this dress gifted to me from emily.
you remember this little sears jr. bazaar get-up? well, this lovely little purple patchwork dress emily found at eco-thrift is same brand, same era, same line. 
and she gave it to me.
i'm in LOVE.
it's also emily's crocheted vest; i'm lucky to have lady friends with good taste who like to share!
 i can't handle real "shoes" in the summertime, but the mountain air was fresh enough that i could lose the flip flops for once.
it was a lovely, sparkling, sunny, hidden day deep in the mountains. i followed a tiny dirt fireroad that winds down into a canyon. i was on the search for wildflowers but i think a lot of it was too shady. i did find fireweed, wild sweetpea, giant dandelions, ferns, and some bright fire engine red blossom.
it was a perfect break from the hustle and bustle of my life lately.
i have lots more photos of some dresses i modeled for my shop, but for now i figured i'd share just my own personal little journey and the blessings of the mountain forest.
and of course, the poem by dylan thomas:

The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

The force that drives the water through the rocks
Drives my red blood, that dries the mouthing streams
Turns mine to wax.
And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

The hand that whirls the water in the pool
Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
Hauls my shroud sail.
And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
How of my clay is made the hangman's lime.

The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
Shall calm her sores.
And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

And I am dumb to tell the lover's tomb
How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.

Comments

um, can i come over and braid your hair? it's sooooo beautiful! i love these pictures, and i LOVE dylan thomas. thanks for the warm fuzzy feeling this post gave me.
Runic Rhyme said…
That photo of you...back turned, sunlit background....wow
Kaylie said…
I'm in my last year of high school, then off to one of the state univerisites (most likely ASU) to study film or creative writing! I'm also planning on applying to some Oregon and California universities to keep my options open. Ahhh, the future! If you have any wisdom to share, feel free to lay it on me. :)
Teeny said…
Love this post, I always find that taking the time to absorb the green around me brings me back to some semblance of sanity.
Amy Beatty said…
Cutest dress ever and it fits you perfect. What a lovely day.
Missa said…
Oh, such majestic beauty! You look completely gorgeous and in your element in these photos. My favorite is the one where you're looking up at the camera, I also love the one with your back to the camera as if you are heading into the light, so amazing.

This makes me long for a solitary hike in the woods, some time to just be contemplative absorb the beauty :)
Missa said…
P.S. That dress is soooo cute and I want the little lacy vest and yes, yes, you should definitely make a trip to Santa Rosa for the Regatta, you'd love it!!!!
Milla said…
Oh the lovely Heather, I have so many awesome posts to catch up on, BUT I just have to say that I've missed your sweet face. You look like you belong in these woods, girl, a forest fairie, a sylph, a wise witchy woman.

Looking at these pics I'm filled with longing for long hikes in the mountains.

Oh and I also got a Sears Junior dress recently, though I am mighty envious of those sweet purples. Love it.

Big hug.

Popular posts from this blog

pretty baby

"I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin..."

handmade homes take to the open road