One Week in Summer

MONDAY:

The girls and I were having a watermelon treat in the backyard when....


Our friends from the city suddenly surprised us with a visit! Doniella (Auntie D), Amanda and baby Chloe (almost exactly Polly's age) showed up to chill out with us for a while on their way up to their camping adventure at Sly Park Lake.


Addie and Utah joined us, and it turned into an impromptu pool party.


The makings of a perfect summer afternoon: laundry on the line, watermelon slices on a plate, babies in a pool, and laughing mommas.



TUESDAY:

Tuesday was a long awaited Movie Night since Zack and Rebecca and Sylvan have moved into their new home. This was our most well-attended movie night yet, with about 25 people including ten, yes TEN tots under the age of five, plus ten year old Sylvan as shepherd. The kids in age order are as follows: Sylvan, Juniper, Oliver, Zillion, Lucy, Aesop, Utah, Chloe, Polly, Arlo, Elan.


Tofu taco spread was a big hit, thanks Rebecca and all contributors. I made pico de gallo and guacamole which sounds like no biggie but is quite a feat for my afternoon. And I love how Jorden is holding Polly below, since it's a rare sight for anyone but me to be holding her.



Meeting and getting to know baby Elan was a real treat this past week. He is a smiley guy! And he's bigger than Polly though not quite eight months old!




Although Sylvan really wanted to kids to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox, they mostly ran around outside, literally doing laps around the whole house. It was a bit nerve wracking for the parents but they were busy having a classic summer night so what are you gonna do? Polly took one big spill and I ended up picking gravel out of her forehead, but she took it like a champ and was back to sprinting up and down the path in no time. 

We did have a few nice moments of chaos in the movie room as well. Chloe did a great job sitting with the big kids.

Thanks to the Rebecca/Zack clan for hosting an unforgettable June night.

WEDNESDAY

My cousin Kristy, whom I have not seen since we were preteens, was going to be in Reno visiting our grandparents. I have never met her little girl, Kaylee. So my mom and the girls and I headed to Reno for the day to meet the long lost cousins!



Kaylee was so sweet, immediately taking Lucy's hand and leading her all around Grandpa Corry's beautiful yard to show her all the trees and the bridge over the fish pond, and the old chicken coop and wishing well that Grandpa built. 


They brought gifts for my girls! Such a sweet surprise.

We spent part of the afternoon at a big park nearby.


Being brave, climbing up tall stuff, going down slides that are way too high.



Marma, Grandma Cherie and Aunt Sandy.

Second cousins scouting for rabbits.


Both my girls took a chance to hang out with Grandpa Corry on the porch swing. Doesn't faze them at all that he's known for being a bit of a curmudgeon. I hope that when they're old enough to sit still long enough, he can tell them some of the stories I remember from when I was little, like " the little boy with his finger in the dike" (he's from Holland) or Jonah and the whale.



Grandpa's beautiful garden.


Kaylee teaching Lucy to "make fire."


Cousin Kristy and I:

THURSDAY

Thursday was Darin's day off, so we joined the gals up at the lake for some camping fun.





The site was practically at the water's edge.  





Little explorers off together.


Chloe taught Polly that hummus is best eaten with all five fingers.

Mamas and their babes.








Getting comfy back at camp, the best feeling.


Makeshift jammies:

Doniella makes a mean camping meal.




Picnic dinner.

Post prandial walk with Auntie D.



Good-bye Sly Park Lake! We're home to our own beds just a hop and skip away.

FRIDAY:

You might have thought that all that hanging out was over. Nope. That next afternoon everybody got together for another quick pool session in our backyard. With wine spritzers all around.




Pops brought over cherries from a farm up the road. We shared them with our friends.


The End. 

Comments

Milla said…
Oh my gosh! What a week! I so love seeing these dear faces and miss Polly and Tooti much. I love love love Chatchi's serious little face as she's being brave, what a beloved character! You guyses adventures are so inspiring, I can't wait to get to be a part of this whole ragtag time! The vicarious enjoyment is good too. <3 <3 <3
Heidi Ann said…
Now THAT is what summer is all about, right?
Loved seeing all of your pictures and reading the stories of good times with family and friends!
Heidi Ann said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
anne said…
What a FUN week! You guys are L-I-V-I-N! That camping spot looks sweet! I really we will camp this summer, I'm dying to get in a river :)
Anonymous said…
Looks like so much fun! I love your mom's skirt! Do you know where she got it? I love reading your blog but I am closer to her age than yours! You bring back lovely memories of when my children were young and your family is so lovely. ~Denise
Unknown said…
I might steal this idea-- I really like seeing a week's adventures all laid out. this just exudes summertime. And now I'm craving watermelon.
Tera said…
What a fun filled and awesome week!!!!
Kimberly said…
Holy Moly...you sure keep busy. Looks like so much fun!!!

Popular posts from this blog

pretty baby

"I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin..."

handmade homes take to the open road