Prayers for Rain

Last night we celebrated my sister Addie's 40th birthday party which was vaguely 90s-gothic themed with a playlist that included all our 1992 favorites: Erasure, Yaz, Depeche Mode, the Cure. And we were definitely praying for rain, as fires burn so much of our beloved state and neighbors' lands here in northern California.

But in the midst of much September sorrow, here we were having a good old time anyway and celebrating the spirit of community and friendship. Party in the courtyard, thank you Totem!



I tried to make the girls a little bit punk rock/goth. Last minute we dug through the drawers, pulled out black and lace, and Lucy even got her hair teased and hairsprayed for the first time. She picked a beaded necklace I made circa 1996, and was proud of all the zippers on her pants.






"I'm pretty much the queen of Placerville right now." - Addie around 12:30 a.m.
40 years old, here's how it looks: my sister and her husband Art just moved back to town and bought a cute little 1920s bungalow in Camino they've been fixing up. She is sparkling, vibrant, social, busy all the time. She has an ebay shop for vintage sheet music that I wish I could link to right now. Her son Utah keeps her hopping but he's a really good kid, solid and lovable and funny. She knows every truth of my heart and me of hers, I believe, and that is the magic of sisters. So glad we have each other as we enter this new decade, cause I'm soon behind her!


Sometimes you make me feel like I'm living at the edge of the world. 
It's just the way I smile, she said.







Oliver's dance moves wowed all the girls. Donkey kicks and air guitar.





After we went home and got the girls to bed, and Darin fell soundly asleep doing so, I got up and ate some toast and puttered about and finally talked myself into going back out. It's a pretty rare occasion for me these days and I'm glad I went. Met up with the gang downtown at the H.Art lounge where our friend was hosting open mic and then we all made our way over to the town's dive bar, Liar's Bench cause Ade wanted whiskey. I didn't get home till one a.m. and she was out much later than me. Here's to forty!






You were running soft through the night, 
you were bigger and brighter and whiter than snow.
And screamed at the make believe
And screamed at the sky, 
And finally found all your courage to let it all go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
cool! thanks for sharing. Ill be coming ou on 40 soon too
anne said…
I love that song. This is my kind of party! Happy Birthday to your sis and I'm glad you had a fun, late, party night!
Tera said…
Happy Birthday Addie, you do not look 40 but you do look quite glam!
Kimberly said…
Love Love Love
And by the way...When did Addie switch her name to Adie? In high school it was Addie. Will always by Addie to me :)
Love you girls

Popular posts from this blog

pretty baby

"I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin..."

handmade homes take to the open road