December Merriment

A massive post I made last year and never published. Publishing it now in advance of another merry December!

I could never choose a favorite moment from the month of December. From the town parade to exciting school festivities, to friend's birthday celebrations, to Solstice bonfires. From each of our family traditions that lead up to the big day itself, and then the aftermath with extended family and drinks and feasts and parties and hang outs galore. It is a month packed full of all my favorite things, and I live for it and drink it in. And post over a hundred pictures of it. Sorry.

I have read Milla's inspiring post about quiet, restful time during the midwinter season, and I have tried to make space for that in my life too, here in the midwinter time, the kind of deep peace we can usually only find intentionally these days. Meanwhile, I think Milla says it best: "In winter, in the dark time, we are meant to rest, to be together, to make, to marvel." Looking back on the month of December, even though it does feel busy and bustling, I also find that the ways we spent our days are the ways that nourish my soul.

Zack's 40th birthday was December 5. His called his party "IB40" and made buttons and we celebrated at his art gallery with lots of good food. The community babies showed up with their parents, little Miles comforted Polly (they adore each other) when she fell down during the obligatory kids race around the gallery, and the grown ups stayed late for a rousing game of Secret Hitler. (I took the girls home so Darin could stay and play and he had so much fun being a bad guy.)








Cookie making day came about a week later! I should've remembered from last year that making sugar cookies is a massive endeavor that takes more than one day and almost two pounds of butter. The recipe I have (from my childhood) must make at least four hundred cookies. (I exaggerate. but only a little.) Kids can only frost and decorate so many cookies and sneak so much frosting before freak outs happen. And after bedtime, tired moms are left doing the lion's share. I still have a huge ziploc full of plain unfrosted cookies in my freezer. Still...totally worth it, and a tradition I hope to never give up.






(and by next year I'll have a new kitchen!!!)


As the winter break approaches, teacher cards must be made and little gifts purchased. And I must be totally hands off now that my girls have very specific ideas about the design of their cards. We are truly so lucky to have the most wonderful teachers again this year that my girls absolutely ADORE.  


We had a bonfire this year for Winter Solstice. The girls and I made some decorations and read all about ancient rituals and practices as the day came closer. I found the book The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas by John Matthews to be a delightful and scholarly read on the subject. 




dropping off Lucy at the elementary school

I wasn't the only parent who wore my pajamas too. But almost. 
Winter Solstice this year also fell on a full moon night, and it was the last day of school before the break. The girls both got to wear pajamas to school and have hot cocoa. It was a really special day for them, and it just kept going. 

dropping off Polly at preschool in her jammies. 

To add to the excitement, the girls also got to open gifts form their teachers after school, and each one got a funny new book. 

They changed into "solstice outfits" after school and helped me make Friendship soup (the recipe from Polly's preschool) and set out snacks. 



our friends begin to arrive!
Every year, in fact, every season, I try to celebrate with a nod here and there to the old ways. Because we are not churchgoers, I want to incorporate in our family an element of spirituality and holiness in rituals that center around the earth. Bonfires at the solstice are a good way to do this,  and we've had them before, but I was hoping this time for something just a little bit more than just a rollicking good time with warm drinks and laughter, although that too is great medicine. When Dolly asked me if we could co-host a bonfire in my backyard, I knew I might really have a chance at building a wee bit of spiritual earth/moon community. comoonity. haha. Her partner, Chris, mushroom hunter extraordinaire, made a delicious mulled blackberry wine, and the children ran wild and played in the backyard late into the night. It was a cold night, but none of us were ever cold.


And then, it was actually Lucy and Polly who helped me begin to introduce the sense of reverence I was seeking by dressing up as "St. Lucia" and her "Full Moon Princess" in all white and coming out during a quiet moment when all other lights were turned off except for the fire's flames. They were really into it, which was exciting for me, needless to say. Lucy carried a candle and loudly announced, "I AM ST. LUCIA, BRINGER OF LIGHT! LIGHT YOUR CANDLES FROM MINE!"  Polly had painted a full moon and stars on a rock and she solemnly brought it around the circle for all the people to see and for the children to touch. Her part was a hundred percent her idea. 



Soon after, Darin had a day off and made a burn pile, and he helped the girls make and tend their own tiny fire and add sticks to it and even roast marshmallows. 


Just a couple days before Christmas, we had our annual candy-making day at Nana's, another newish tradition that the girls really enjoy. And I really enjoy a little too much the fruits of our labor, which is simply called Christmas candy, which are little balls of pecans, coconut, and chocolate. Nothing could be more perfect.


Nana had snowman mugs for the girls and little gifts, Cindy Lou Who dolls for each of the them.




Afterwards, we decided to meet Darin at work and spend a little time on Main Street with some last minute gift shopping. We met up with Pops and Joey to hang out at my favorite cozy winter hang out, Placerville Public House, which always has a really good sour on tap.






Capped off the night with a visit to "Santa Claus Lane," which we also do every year just before Christmas. Their decorations are always the same, with a giant nativity and many vintage light-up Santas, including one in the front seat of their RV in the driveway. It's a local family (I have a feeling they're getting pretty old) who I don't know, and I can only be silently grateful to them for their cheery display and their persistence year after year in providing such an old-fashioned and festive display for our little town to enjoy. 


Christmas Eve we always open one special present. The girls had each picked one out for each other and were very much looking forward to this moment. They also chose gifts for Darin, and the gift that I always cherish most on Christmas Eve is our family DVD of all the year's footage put together and edited by Darin for me. He makes a special case and a menu screen and it is simply called "The Girls 2018."


the pride in their faces giving gifts to each other just kills me


daddy got Grinch socks from Lucy

Then we went to see Mary Poppins Returns and I was blown away. I felt like I went walking into a magical painting myself. For some reason, I hadn't mentally prepared myself for a musical, and it just lifted me straight out of this world. I also cried several times and just kind of blissed out.


Christmas morning. "The elves really MADE this!" Polly exclaimed about this little doll clothes closet. They have been so into their dolls. Even though they have way too much stuff, the amount that they love and care for their dolls and the imagination that goes into their play together really makes it worth it.


I made my favorite cranberry orange muffins and a nice big breakfast. We had quiet time together before Joey, Scout, Nana and Jack arrived. My dad and Addie and Utah came a little bit later. 
Darin and Joey took the girls for rides in the early afternoon and we played outside a little bit while we had sunshine. 











Then, time for more presents!






 We broke for a couple hours, then came back together at our house had a nice dinner together. Everything went so smoothly.  I probably don't need to report all this. But Mom made chile relleno and cheesy potatoes; Jack made Polly's favorite guacamole and a side dish of braised balsamic Brussels sprouts that were incredible. Joey made his famous frittata. I made potato kale enchiladas à la Isa Moskowitz, who creates all my favorite recipes to make and eat, as well as confetti rice with chayote. We also had marmy's beloved strawberry jello salad with crushed pineapple that reminds me of every mormon gathering of my youth and is still as refreshing. 

Here we are minus Joey, Addie, Utah, Pops and me. Sounds like a lot but we all fit like a puzzle!




loading on the whipped cream
 It was a beautiful Christmas day. 


the day after Christmas we met up with my best friend from forever Kimmy to get ice cream downtown.


And the joyousness continues! Mikie and Marisa and Matt and Amy's family all arrived on the 27th and we had another big Beatty family Christmas! 



More presents, more coziness, more fun! Now with the addition of big kids and teens!







Was really proud of these presents for the big kids.


Matt licking his new Himalayan salt crystal lamp.


And an even more massive Christmas dinner! I spy Jack's guacamole. 




Stash brewery on a perfect winter afternoon. The girls wore their new skirts Matt and Amy brought them from India.








My favorite way to spend an evening in winter. Outdoors around a bonfire with a ton of people I love.


More playing. More fun. December coming to an end.


I wore my India pants. 



And we all went to visit Grandma Cherie one last time before she moved to a care facility in Arizona near my uncle.






Then more meandering on Main Street. Polly tried out her new baby Ergo.




New Year's Eve! Welcome 2019!




Zack and Rebecca had another cozy party at the gallery. They set up movies for the kids. 


glittery doughnuts! xoxo



Polly fell asleep but Lucy made it midnight this year!


Saying good-bye to Joey as he skateboarded home down an empty Main Street at 1:00 in the morning. Saying goodbye to a delightful 2018 as well.




Here's to love, life, and a million more memories.








Comments

LT said…
Oh, how I love your posts! What a joy to see your sweet family enjoy the holiday season last year. I adore December. I’m in Seattle, and we can rarely have December bonfires because it’s rainy (like right now). Looking forward to this year’s post!
Hi LT! I wish I could invite you to our solstice bonfire this year! Thank you so much for visiting and for your kind words!
Jeanne said…
What a wonderful gift to discover your post! I loved your thoughts about creating rituals -- your Solstice celebration is perfect. The girls are delightfully older here, and I'm sure they must be even more mature and amazing now that another year has gone by. Happy holiday season with love!
lorlore said…
We had the cookie making tradition in our Family and found it very helpful to have the cookies already cutout and baked one day, then just ready to ice the next! Otherwise, yes, much too long of a process for the young to get through! But such fun and they get super creative and messy, of course!! Love your December Post, looking forward to this years!!!!
Hi Jeanne, thank you so much for being here, witnessing my daughters' growth, and for your good wishes! I hope to create even more sense of ritual this year. xoxoxo
Lorlore, that's a great idea! I did make the dough earlier in the day separately, but I let the girls both roll out and cut, and then also frost the first batches. Too much for one evening! It's an hours-long process. It's such a fun tradition though, and I'll be doing it every year no matter what. Holiday love to you! xoxoxo

Popular posts from this blog

pretty baby

"I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin..."

handmade homes take to the open road